When did the incident of Isra’ Mikraj happen?
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
There are several opinions of scholars regarding when the Isra’ Mikraj happened:
- A year before hijrah: This is the opinion of Ibn Mas’ud, al-Zuhri, Urwah bin al-Zubair, Ibn Sa’d and Ibn Hazmin claimed that this is the opinion of the majority of scholars. This is the jazam of Imam al-Nawawi.
- In the year the Prophet PBUH become a prophet which is the first time he received the revelation from Allah SWT through Gabriel AS. This is the opinion of al-Tabari.
- Two years before hijrah.
- Three years before hijrah: This is narrated by Ibn al-Athir, accurately on 27 Rejab in the tenth year of prophethood. This is the opinion of al-Allamah Mansurfuri.
- Five years before hijrah: This is the opinion of al-Nawawi and al-Qurtubi. This is also the opinion of al-Zuhri narrated by Qadhi Iyad and he agreed with the opinion that states Khadijah performed the prayer together with the Prophet PBUH after the obligation for prayer is revealed.
Regarding the month in which it happened, there are several opinions, among them are:
- In Rabi’ul Awal. Syeikh al-Maraghi said: “This incident happened on 17 Rabi al-Awwal, a year before hijrah.” This is the opinion of most tahqiq scholars.
- In Rabiul Akhir. This is the disposition of Ibn al-Munir.
- In Rejab. This is the famous opinion of most people today.
According to the analysis of most scholars and muhaqqiq, the Isra’ and Mikraj incident happened in Rabiul Awal either on the 12th or 17th of Rabiul Awal. This opinion is strengthened with the argument of Ibn Kathir in his book al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah according to the athar of Jabir and Ibn Abbas.