Assalamualaikum SS Datuk Seri Mufti. When is the real time for sunnah isyraq prayer?
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the many countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
The Prophet PBUH encouraged his ummah to sit and remember Allah SWT after performing the Subuh prayer until the sun rises, then perform the sunnah 2 rakaat prayer. The Prophet PBUH mentioned the great rewards for those who did this saying:
مَنْ صَلَّى الْغَدَاةَ فِى جَمَاعَةٍ ثُمَّ قَعَدَ يَذْكُرُ اللَّهَ حَتَّى تَطْلُعَ الشَّمْسُ ثُمَّ صَلَّى رَكْعَتَيْنِ كَانَتْ لَهُ كَأَجْرِ حَجَّةٍ وَعُمْرَةٍ تَامَّةٍ تَامَّةٍ تَامَّةٍ
"Whoever prays Fajr in congregation, then sits remembering Allah until the sun has risen, then he prays two Rak'ah, then for him is the reward like that of a Hajj and Umrah." He said: "The Messenger of Allah said: 'Complete, complete, complete.'"
Sunan al-Tirmidzi and al-Tabrani RA (586)
Ibnu ‘Abbas named Dhuha prayer that is performed in the beginning of its time as Isyraq prayer. It is named as such for it is performed after the time of syuruk which is when the sun is rising. However, although Israq prayer is performed in the time of Dhuha prayer, there are several differences between Isyraq prayer and Dhuha prayer. (Refer Bughyat al-Muthatawwi’ fi Solaat al-Tathawwu’: 58-59)
The differences are as the following:
- Isyraq prayer is Dhuha prayer performed at the beginning of Dhuha prayer time. The reason is, Dhuha prayer time begins after the sun has risen until before the sun passes its zenith. Hence, Isyraq prayer time starts after the sun has risen until the sun has risen to the height of a spear or approximately 1.5 metres or 12-15 minutes after the sun rises. (Refer Bughyat al-Muthatawwi’ fi Solaat al-Tathawwu’: 58)
- Besides, the benefits of Isyraq prayer is stated in the hadith can only be attained on the condition that he perform the Subuh prayer in congregation and stay seated remembering Allah SWT, where afterwards he performed this prayer. While the benefit of Duuha prayer could be attained as long as it is performed in its time.
- Dhuha prayer time starts after the sun rises (after syuruk time) until before the sun passes its zenith (Refer Bughyat al-Muthatawwi’ fi Solaat al-Tathawwu’: 60). While the best time for Dhuha prayer is when the sand is warm due to the heat of the sun. Dhuha prayer performed during this time is called Awwabin prayer. This is in accordance with the hadith:
صَلَاةُ الأَوَّابِينَ حِينَ تَرْمِضُ الفِصَالُ
“Awwabin prayer is performed when the sand (in open lands) is hot (from the heat of the sun).”
Sahih Muslim (1238)
- For dhuha prayer it is permissible to be performed with 2,4,6, until 12 rakaat. While Isyraq prayer is only 2 rakaat.
- Isyraq prayer cannot be replaced (qadha’) if one misses its time. If it is performed after its time then it is considered as Dhuha prayer and not Isyraq prayer.
According to the above discussion, we conclude that Isyraq prayer is Dhuha prayer performed in the beginning of its time. The time of Isyraq prayer starts at approximately when the sun has rises at the height of a spear or 15 minutes after syuruk time.
Furthermore, we would like to encourage people who have performed the congregational Subuh prayer to sit and stay in iktikaf in the mosque and fill this time with the remembrance of Allah SWT. Then, followed it with 2 rakaat of Isyraq prayer. However, for those who need to leave the mosque for he is working or for other matters, then it is permissible to perform the Isyraq prayer anywhere. Hopefully, by performing it, we are able to attain the rewards of it promised by Allah SWT.
May Allah SWT give us a true understanding of our religion and bless us with guidance and strength to perform these worships with sincerity. Amin.