Assalamualaikum. What is the meaning of the hadith: “This knowledge will be the legacy of fair scholars for every generation. They will reject any deviancy of the transgressors, denying the deception of the wrongdoer and the interpretations of the ignorant,”?
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
The hadith is narrated by Ibrahim bin ‘Abdurrahman al-‘Uzriy, where the Prophet PBUH said:
يَحْمِلُ هَذَا الْعِلْمَ مِنْ كُلِّ خَلَفٍ عُدُوْلُهُ، يَنْفُوْنَ عَنْهُ تَحْرِيْفَ الْغَالِيْنَ، وَانْتِحَالَ الْمُبْطِلِيْنَ، وَتَأْوِيْلَ الْجَاهِلِيْنَ
“This knowledge is brought by fair scholars from every generation. They would reject every deviancy of the transgressors, reject the deceptions if the wrongdoers and the interpretations of the ignorant.”
Narrated by al-Baihaqi in Sunan al-Kubra (20700) and al-Tabrani in Musnad al-Syammin (599). This hadith is evaluated as sahih by al-Albani in the tahqiq of the book Misyhkah al-Mashabih (248)
The Meaning of the Hadith
This hadith narrates that Islam is a religion which will stand firm till the end of times. It is protected by the scholars from previous generations to this day from bad and negative influences which purpose is to harm the religion. Furthermore, according to this hadith, we can understand that there is a continuous responsibility of the scholars of whom are ‘udul or thiqah (trustworthy). It Is not an easy responsibility for each scholar has to protect the purity of this religion from any deviancy and interpretations of the transgressors and ignorant. Furthermore, this shows how Allah SWT protects the purity of this religion by appointing ‘udul scholars and it is also the signs and evidences of prophethood. (Tahzib al-Asma’ wa al-Lughat, 1 : 17)
Fiqh of the Hadith
Among the fiqh (understanding) that can be extracted from this hadith are:
- The responsibility of protecting this religion is never ending and it is continuous through the promise of Allah SWT.
- The attribute of taqwa and trustworthiness is crucial for an individual in conveying the religion, especially among scholars and religious people.
- In every generation there will be those who try to destroy or taint the purity of Islam. However, the truth is protected and defended by Rabbani scholars.
- Any words or fatwa which contradict with what is recorded al-Quran and al-Hadith will harm the religion. Thus, it is of utmost importance for scholars to be careful in conveying and teaching the religion the best they could.
- Extreme actions or behaviours are strictly against the teachings of Islam. This denies the attribute of Islam which celebrates everything. The attribute of love, care, respect and others are the outfit and adornment of the Muslim ummah.
Lastly, may with this explanation Allah SWT grant us His taufiq, hidayah and inayah. Amin.