The surau under my management organize a sacrifice event in conjunction with Eidul Adha celebration. Considering that there are only three participations, surau made a decision to sponsor 4 parts to complete a whole cow. The four parts are sponsored using the money donated by the public and the surau chose four residents who are not among the poor or needy.
- Is the sacrifice valid?
- Who should set the intention for sacrifice; the committee of the surau or the sponsored individuals?
- Is it permissible to sponsor someone who is not among the poor and needy?
- The money used to sponsor the sacrifice is the donations made by the public. Is it permissible for the committee of the surau to decide to sponsor sacrifice just like they decide another usage of the donation (unspecified donation for certain activities)?
- If it is invalid, what can be done to make it right?
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
- In our opinion, the sacrifice is valid for it fulfils all the conditions of sacrifice.
- The four chosen individuals should set their intention for sacrifice during the slaughter, when handing the animal to the slaughterer or when the animal is slaughtered by the slaughterer, for he acts on the capacity of a person who is performing the sacrifice.
- It is sunnah to choose the individuals from among the poor and needy.
- In our opinion, it is permissible for a mosque to sponsor sacrifice using donation money if the donation is a general donation for charitable acts. Its role is similar to Baitulmal, where it is permissible to be used for sacrifice. Mosque’s funds are usually used for charitable acts such as feeding people, the endowment for teachers or help aid for a person who was in an accident. Hence, even if it is given to an individual it is also considered as a charitable act. Those who donated for this fund will also receive the rewards of it, Insya Allah.
We would like to suggest to the chosen people to set his intention as the following:
“This is my sacrifice as well as the sacrifice of the Muslimin for Allah.”
This is in accordance with the words of the Prophet PBUH when he was performing his sacrifice:
بِاسْمِ اللهِ، اللهُمَّ تَقَبَّلْ مِنْ مُحَمَّدٍ، وَآلِ مُحَمَّدٍ، وَمِنْ أُمَّةِ مُحَمَّد
“O Allah, accept [this sacrifice] on behalf of Muhammad and the family of Muhammad and the Ummah of Muhammad"
Sahih Muslim (1967)
1) al-Zuhaili, Syeikh Muhammad. 2015. Al-Mu’tamad fi al-Fiqh al-Syafie. Dar al-Qalam: Damsyik. Vol 2.
2) Islamic Development Department of Malaysia (JAKIM). 2013. Garis Panduan Pelaksanaan Ibadah Qurban (Guidelines on the Implementation of the Worship of Qorban). Download: http://www.islam.gov.my/…/garis_panduan_pelaksanaan_ibadah_…