What is the status of this hadith?
- It is narrated from Ibn Abbas RA, it is said to be from the Prophet PBUH:
فِي أَوَّلِ يَوْمٍ مِنْ ذِيْ الْحِجَّةِ غَفَرَ اللهُ فِيْهِ لِآدَمَ وَمَنْ صَامَ هَذَا الْيَوْمِ غَفَرَ اللهُ لَهُ كُلّ ذَنْبٍ
“On the first day of Zulhijjah Allah SWT forgiven the Prophet PBUH and whoever fasts on that day, then Allah SWT would forgive all of his sin.”
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
We have just entered the month of Zulhijjah and the first days of Zulhijjah are the most beloved days of Allah SWT for any of His salves to perform worship to Him. This is based on a sahih hadith of the Prophet:
- From Ibn Abbas R.Anha, the Prophet PBUH said:
مَا مِنْ أَيَّامٍ الْعَمَلُ الصَّالِحُ فِيهَا أَحَبُّ إِلَى اللَّهِ مِنْ هَذِهِ الْأَيَّامِ يَعْنِي أَيَّامَ الْعَشْرِ قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَلَا الْجِهَادُ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ قَالَ وَلَا الْجِهَادُ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ إِلَّا رَجُلٌ خَرَجَ بِنَفْسِهِ وَمَالِهِ فَلَمْ يَرْجِعْ مِنْ ذَلِكَ بِشَيْء
“There is no virtue more to the liking of Allah in any day than in these days, that is, the first ten days of Dhu al-Hijjah. They (the Companions) asked: Messenger of Allah, not even the struggle in the path of Allah (Jihad)? He said: (Yes), not even the struggle in the path of Allah, except a man who goes out (in the path of Allah) with his life and property, and does not return with any of them.”
Sunan Abu Daud (2082) [The sanad of this hadith is sahih according to Syeikh Syu’aib al-Arna’outh]
According to the above question, there are several other hadiths which state specific advantages for those who fast in the first ten days of Zulhijjah. The hadiths are as the following:
- The advantage of fasting on the 1st of Zulhijjah is the same as stated in the above hadith.
- The advantage of fasting on the 2nd of Zulhijjah is the same as a person who worships Allah SWT for a whole year without sinning at all to Him for on this day Allah SWT granted the supplication of the Prophet Joseph AS.
- The advantage of fasting on the 3rd of Zulhijjah is that all of his supplication would be granted by Allah SWT because on this day Allah SWT granted the supplication of the Prophet Zechariah AS.
- The advantage of fasting of the 4th of Zulhijjah is Allah SWT would protect him from any misery, hardship, poverty and he would be assembled together with the angels in Mahsyar on the day of Resurrection for on this day it is the day the Prophet Jesus AS was born.
- The advantage of fasting on the 5th of Zulhijjah is he would be protected from the attributes of the hypocrites and the punishments of the grave because on this day the Prophet Moses AS was born.
- The advantage of fasting on the 6th of Zulhijjah, Allah SWT will look at him with love and Allah SWT will never punish him. On this day, Allah SWT open the door of goodness to the Prophet PBUH.
- The advantage of fasting on the 7th of Zulhijjah, the door of Jahannam and 30 doors of hardships are closed for him and 30 doors of pleasure are opened for him.
- The advantage of fasting on the day of Tarwiyah is that he will be rewarded with a reward only known to Allah SWT and no one else.
- The advantage of fasting on the 9th of Zulhijjah or the day of Arafah is that his sins will be expiated for the previous year and the following year.
Analyzing the above hadiths, we would like to state that all of the advantages stated are not sahih from the Prophet PBUH except the advantage of fasting on the day of Arafah. This is in accordance with a sahih hadith:
- From Abu Qatadah RA, the Prophet PBUH was asked regarding fasting on the day of Arafah and the Prophet PBUH replied:
يُكَفِّرُ السَّنَةَ الْمَاضِيَةَ وَالْبَاقِيَةَ
“It expiates the sins of the preceding year and the coming year”
Sahih Muslim (1977)
To conclude, the hadiths which narrate the advantages are not sahih from the Prophet PBUH. However, we are greatly encouraged to increase our worships and good deeds during the first 10 days of Zulhijjah by increasing our sunnah prayers, fasting, donations, recitation of the Quran, dhikr, qiyamullail and others according to the general hadith which explains the advantages of the first ten days of Zulhijjah. May Allah SWT make us form among His salves who receive His blessings, forgiveness and are saved from the punishments of hellfire. Amin.