What are the wisdoms of zakat fitrah?
Waalaikumussalam wrt, wbt.,
Alhamdulillah, praise and thanks to Allah for the countless blessings He has blessed us all with. Blessings and salutations to the Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, his family, companions and all those that follow his teachings to the day of judgement.
Regarding the wisdoms of zakat fitrah, it has been stated in a hadith from Ibn Abbas R.Anhuma, he said:
فَرَضَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ زَكَاةَ الْفِطْرِ طُهْرَةً لِلصَائِمِ مِنَ الْلَغْوِ وَالْرَفَثِ، وَطُعْمَةً لِلْمَسَاكِيْنِ
“The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prescribed the sadaqah (alms) relating to the breaking of the fast as a purification of the fasting from empty and obscene talk and as food for the poor.”
Sunan Abu Daud (1609)
Generally, zakat fitrah functions as:
- Purification of sins for those who fast
- Providing food for the poor
- Mend the insufficiencies of the fast
- Showcasing thankfulness and gratefulness to Allah SWT for the completion of Ramadhan
- Grateful to Allah SWT for the blessing of the completion of a year being protected by Allah SWT
- Help deliver joy for the people who are in need and hungry on the day of Eid
- Cultivate love among them and others